Rain inspires people to dance, write poems, sing and fall in love. Remember the song Tip Tip Barsa Paani? I am sure you are humming that song right now. Rain is intoxicating and magical. I read a poem few days back by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow called Rain in Summer. It goes something like this:
How beautiful is the rain!
After the dust and heat,
In the broad and fiery street,
In the narrow lane,
How beautiful is the rain!
While the monsoon slowly knocks at our doors, with gusts of wind, thunder and the cool breeze sweeping the moist, humid summer days, it also brings bad news for our hair. Mainly for those who are blessed with frizzy hair like me.
You know her, right? That’s Lorde. She looks amazing in that hair. That’s like 100 times better version of what my hair looks after it dries once it gets wet in the rain. I reborn as crazy Lion king.
So, you have to keep a few tricks up your sleeve to combat the problems that monsoon brings to your hair. I learnt it the hard way. You don’t have to. Just change a bit of your hair care routine and you are good to go.
- Protect Your Hair: we all know that prevention is better than cure, so always always always carry a scarf or an umbrella to protect your hair from the humidity or rain to prevent unwanted dryness and roughness of the hair. Try to dry your hair using an old T-shirt as soon as possible.
- Washing Your Hair: because you won’t be washing your hair frequently, so whenever possible, at least once a week, try doing hot oil massage before doing shampoo. Keep hair oil for 1 hour to maximize overnight. Try to dilute the shampoo with water before applying and conditioner is a must. Check for paraben-free and silicon-free shampoos and conditioners.
- After wash Care: gently pat dry hair after washing them to avoid breakage and preferably use your old T-shirt rather than a towel. Do not comb your hair when it is excessively wet. Applying hair serum will add an extra layer of protection. You will find many serums especially for frizzy hair. I have started using Toni & Guy Glamour Serum Drop. You can get it Here.
- Styling Tools: during the monsoon season, try to avoid heating tools as much as possible to avoid the damage. This is applicable all throughout the year. If you cannot live without using hair styling tools, then make sure to use a heat protecting cream, serums or mousse.
- Water Water Water: Drink up a lot of water. During monsoon, we do not feel thirsty and so we miss out on liquids. Remind yourself to drink and if possible, replace any liquids with plain water. Your hair will thank you.
Relax and keep yourself stress free. Although we love hairdos, but try to keep a simple and manageable hairstyle. With proper hair care you can always go ahead and enjoy a rain dance. A little effort and precious time from you will go a long way.
How are you celebrating the monsoon? Are you taking care of your hair? Let me know in the comments below.
One last thing, I would be ever grateful for your support in sharing this around, so feel free to hit the buttons below to share on various channels. Big Thanks!
Keep your heads high & Spread L.O.V.E.